Sensorium: Centre for Digital Arts and Technology
Based in the School of the Arts, Media, Performance & Design (AMPD) at York University, Sensorium is a research centre for creative inquiry and experimentation at the intersection of the media arts, performance, and digital culture. As a site for co-creation and shared critical reflection, Sensorium serves as a catalyst for examining how diverse media platforms enable multi-sensory perception and embodied experience, along with new modes of social engagement. Bridging disciplines and diverse communities, Sensorium researchers, artists, and scientists explore networked connections between people, sentient environments, and ecologies of place. They approach media arts and performance as public facing activities that play a vital role in the cultural and political life of communities.
Sensorium is a vital site for reflecting on how artmaking – as a particular technology of perception – is itself a unique form of knowledge creation that challenges conventional understandings and evaluation of knowledge within the academy. Through supporting creation-based research projects, public events, and partnerships with arts organizations, the Centre serves as an incubator for developing, reflecting on, and cross-pollinating innovative research-creation methodologies.
Sensorium GRADUATE RESEARCH ASSOCIATE Application
Graduate Research Associates are students registered in graduate programmes at York University and engaged in research which resonates with the mandate of Sensorium: Centre for Digital Arts and Technology. We accept applications both from graduate student researchers studying within the Schools of the Arts, Media, Performance, and Design and those situated in faculties outside of AMPD.
Benefits of being a Graduate Research Associate with Sensorium include:
- Access to Sensorium research spaces like the Sensorium Research Loft (a graduate lounge and bookable event/meeting/art presentation space)
- Networking with Sensorium-affiliated students, faculty, artists, and organizations
- Participation in diverse array of yearly events, including talks, symposia, exhibitions, performances, screenings, seminars, writing retreats, salons, and research swaps
- News of events and opportunities associated with the Centre and its members
- Involvement in Sensorium-affiliated research projects and labs
- Individual research and event support
Sensorium Graduate Associates enrich the life of the centre through research, organizing and participation in Centre events. We encourage all Graduate Associates to participate a variety of events such as:
- Sensorium salons
- Weekly seminar series
- Research talks
- Research swaps
- Conferences and symposia
- Graduate colloquia
- Curatorial Lab @ Sensorium
- Online exhibitions / performances
All Associates must submit an annual update (300 words) in the spring outlining their involvement in the Centre, as well as significant research activities/accomplishments from the past year.
Applicants are asked to submit a Graduate Research Associate Application which will be processed and reviewed by the Membership Committee.