Still from Mela Jaloos (2022) directed by Abdullah Qureshi. Thesis film as part of York MFA Film program.
feminist film festival
April 18 and 19, 2024
Nat Taylor Cinema, Ross Building, York University
The Centre for Feminist Research and Sensorium: Centre for Digital Arts and Technology at York University invite submissions for the inaugural edition of the feminist film festival ! With the support of the School of the Arts, Media, Performance and Design (AMPD), and in conjunction with the 2024 AMPD Graduate Symposium Webs of Connectivity, this showcase will feature recent audio-visual productions created by York University graduate students and postdoctoral fellows as part of a curated festival of films with a feminist and/or 2SLGBTQ+ theme. We welcome films created as research-creation projects within graduate programs, as well as those recently created by students and postdocs outside of the university context. The deadline for submission is March 1, 2024, 11:59PM EST. Applicants will be notified of selection by March 15.
The selected films will be screened at Nat Taylor Cinema on Thursday, April 18 with a closing reception and screening(s) on Friday, April 19 in conjunction with the AMPD Grad Symposium. For any questions, please contact: email@example.com
Your submission should adhere to the following requirements:
- Feminist and/or 2SLGBTQ+ themed
- 30 minutes or less
- Fiction/narrative, documentary, animation, experimental, or research-creation
- The film can be recorded in digital or analogue format.
- The film must have been produced during the last two years.
- Each applicant can submit a maximum of one film of up to 30 minutes or two films that together total no more than 30 minutes. (For incomplete films, a minimum of 5 minutes from the film and a one paragraph description should be included. It is expected that the work will be completed prior to screening at fff).
- There is no submission fee for entries.
- A small honorarium will be provided for films selected for the festival.
- The works will only be screened at the festival.
- For consideration by the adjudication committee, completed films should be ready for screening by April 10, 2024.
- The filmmaker must be enrolled at York University in a graduate program for the 2023-2024 academic year, or have a formal affiliation as postdoctoral fellow/visitor.
Questions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org with the Subject Line: feminist film festival 2024 Submission
Apply here by March 1, 2024 (11:59PM EST): https://forms.gle/H6onXrFym8NEVXVr5